Access Statement for The Courtyard at Hodsock Priory
We aim, at The Courtyard, to cater for the needs of all our visitors and so the development has been created out of the Old Dairy, renovated and extended to provide accessible, fully self-contained suites for short stays, self catering and B&B.
8 out of the 10 suites are on the ground floor, one of which is wheel-chair accessible, with a bathroom which is a wet room with shower, with grab rails for toilet, basin and shower area. This is the closest suite to the parking area.
The other 2 suites are upstairs on the first floor. The following statement is a summary of our provision. If you have any specific questions, please do contact us for help.
• Our location is quiet, peaceful and fairly remote from the main road (approx 1 mile down narrow lane), so we are not ideally suited to anyone travelling without a car. We are 5 miles from Worksop and 9 miles from Retford, 15 from Doncaster.
• Bus services stop at the top of the drive (approx I mile from The Courtyard). The village of Blyth is about 1.5 miles on foot or by car.
• The mainline station in Retford is 20 minutes away by car.
• We can supply contact numbers for local taxi services who have accessible taxis so that you can make a booking if required.
• Information and menus can be provided in large print.
• Our website www.hodsockpriory.com describes our facilities and has images of what is available. It is currently being updated for greater accessibility.
• You can contact us by email, phone, fax or text - please see contact details below
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
• The Courtyard is separate from the main house, Hodsock Priory, and is not staffed 24 hours a day. Please advise us of your possible arrival time so we can ensure someone is at The Courtyard to meet you.
• The road onto the estate is narrow with a 20mph speed limit due to this being a working farm, with horses and other animals in the park. Please watch out for farm vehicles.
• There is a wooden gate across the entrance to the Courtyard car park - this is usually open when guests are expected.
• There is one designated disabled car parking space next to reception and close to the suites. There are 14 other car parking spaces which can be reserved. The car park is tarmac with paved areas around it, it is flat and is lit at night. Full 24 hour CCTV coverage of the Courtyard, the access road and the car park takes place.
• We can assist with luggage if required.
• We also have a golf buggy that can be used to transport luggage, or people, from the Courtyard to the Priory itself.
• If no-one is at The Courtyard to meet you, contact numbers are displayed in the Reception window and someone can be there within minutes.
• The Courtyard has plenty of wooden seating around the perimeter.
Main Entrance, Reception & Ticketing Area
• There are no steps to 8 of the suites in The Courtyard. Entrance to 6 of the suites is directly off the car park. There is a 2 storey section of the Courtyard - The Barn - which has 2 ground floor suites off a small entrance hall and 2 further upstairs suites up a staircase, with one hand rail, which is 6cm wide. Floors are level throughout the Courtyard.
• Seating is available in Reception, and outside the 6 suites that look out onto The Courtyard.
• The Reception desk has a low access section.
• On arrival we ask you to complete a registration form, and then you are taken to your suite and our facilities and access to the Hodsock Estate is explained.
Public Areas - Hall, Stairs, Landing, Corridors etc
• The Reception, Dining Room/Meeting Room and all public areas have wood block flooring and are on the ground floor.
• In the Suites, most flooring is wood block, but in 6 suites there is carpeting in the bedroom area. All the bathrooms have tiled floors, except for the disabled wet room which has a composite non-slip flooring.
• All rooms have good colour contrast and are well lit.
• In the 2 storey section, there are 14 stairs to the landing to the 2 first floor bedrooms. The stairs are 19cm high, 80cm wide and 26cm deep.
• Telephones are available in all the suites, however mobile reception from some networks is poor in the area.
• All doors are wood, with the doors to the Courtyard suites having glass in the top half. All doors have individual keys and can be locked from the inside.
• One suite is designated for Pets and/or assistance dogs - water and food bowls are available on request (and food if requested in advance). All dogs must be kept on a lead in the Courtyard area but they can be allowed to run free, under supervision, in certain areas of the Park, depending on the season and the other animals in the area (eg lambing)
• All indoor areas are No Smoking - an ash bin is provided in the seating area in The Courtyard.
• There is WC off the Reception area - it is full disabled access, with grab rails and alarm
Public Areas - Sitting room, lounges, lobbies etc
• Breakfast is served in the Breakfast/Meeting Room next to Reception.
• We do not play background music in any area of The Courtyard.
• There is no separate public sitting room - all the suites have a full seating and kitchen area.
• Public WC is next to Reception, and can be accessed from the Breakfast/Meeting Room as well. It is accessed by a wood block corridor, 110cm wide. The wooden door opens outward and it has easy to use locks.
• Pictorial signage indicates unisex and disabled.
• It is an accessible/adapted WC, with grab rail, and a grab rail by the basin. There is an emergency alarm call system fitted.
• The flooring is non - slip.
Restaurant / Dining Room, Bar & Bar area, Take Away & Cafe
• Access to the Breakfast/Meeting Room is either through Reception, or through one of 2 sets of French double doors opening out into The Courtyard
• Entry is level and 145cm wide. There are no steps and furniture can be re-arranged on request.
• Tables have under space of 70cm and the chairs do not have arms.
• Menus can be provided in large print on request.
• We do not play background music in any area of The Courtyard
• Vegetarian, vegan and gluten free diets can be catered for if informed in advance
• Not available
• The nearest shop is a small Co-Op in the village of Blyth approximately 2 miles away.
• A full range of shops and local markets are available in Worksop and Retford - please ask for further details.
• Both towns have mobility scooters etc available for hire.
• Not available
• Not available.
• The Estate has a range of walks and public footpaths throughout. Most are rough terrain, farm tracks and woods, unsuitable for wheelchairs.
• On most days, the gardens at Hodsock Priory are available for guests to walk in - paths are gravel and relatively flat, with seats available at certain points. Please ask for details of when this access is available as on some days the Priory and grounds are closed to Courtyard guests due to functions in the Priory.
Conference & Meeting Rooms, Banqueting
• The Meeting Room (also Breakfast Room) is on the ground floor with access direct from The Courtyard or through Reception.
• Furniture can be re-arranged to suit the requirements of guests, with seating for up to 30 people. Chairs have no arms. Tables have 70cm under space.
• A unisex/accessible WC is situated off the Meeting Room.
• Internet wi-fi access throughout the Courtyard is free via a hotspot.
Clubs & Entertainment
• Not available
Bedrooms & Sleeping Areas
• Under-floor heating is installed throughout the Courtyard, controlled by thermostats in each suite. These do not change the temperature instantly. If the temperature is too low or too high, additional heaters/fans are available from Reception.
• All suites can either be double or twin-bedded.
• Furniture is moveable on request.
• All beds are 60 cm high.
• All suites have wall mounted remote control tv with teletext
• Internet access is available throughout the property via wi-fi or data ports in every suite.
• Some suites can be linked (5+6, 7+8, 9+10) by connecting doors to provide inter-linked rooms suitable for families or carers.
• Suite 5 - is suitable for wheelchair users. The door width is 92cm for the entrance and the bathroom, the opening to the bedroom is 140cm wide, and there is 3mx3m of free space in the main living area and bedroom. The dressing table is 76cm high with free space of 60cm under it. There is up to 130cm free space around the bed which can be either a king size double or 2 twins. The kitchen/living area has 2 chairs with arms, there is a sink 92cm high, with a nest of tables 56cm high. The fridge is 100cm high and the microwave is on a shelf 120cm high. The furniture can all be moved to suit guests. The bathroom/wetroom is fully accessible for wheelchairs, with 2 handles by the toilet which is 48cm high, one by the shower which is 130cm high and adjustable with soap dish, and 2 basins at different heights 72cm and 88cm, with free space of 240x240 in the bathroom.
• Suites 6 - 10 are identical and consist of 92cm entrance door to small kitchen area with sink (92cm), fridge (104cm) and microwave (120cm) and a range of cupboards. The living area has a sofa (50cm seat height) with arms facing a widescreen wall mounted tv. The bedroom areas have double or twin beds according to guest choice, with approx 120cm total adjustable space to the sides. A dressing table, wardrobe, chair with arms are in the bedroom area. There is a total of 3mx2m of free space in the bedroom area.
• Suites 1 and 2 are on the ground floor in the Barn - this has an additional outside door, with keys only available to the suites within the Barn providing additional security eg. for single female travellers as the suites do not open directly onto the car park. These 2 suites have slightly lower ceilings due to the restrictions placed on the re-use of old buildings. They are accessed from a small lobby area through inward opening doors (92cm). Both have living/kitchen area with the same equipment and fittings as suites 5 - 10, with approximately 2x2m free space, 2 chairs facing a wide screen wall mounted tv, and nest of tables. They both have twin or double beds, with approx 120cm of adjustable space to the sides of the beds. Both have built in wardrobes.
• Suites 3 and 4 are on the second floor of the Barn, reached by 14 stairs, which are 19cm high, 80cm wide with a depth of 26cm. There is a handrail on one side only which is 6 cm wide and varies in height from 90cm to 110cm. There is a small landing area approx 2mx1m. The suites are accessed by 92cm doors opening inwards. Suite 3 has exactly the same dimensions and fittings as Suite 1 on the ground floor. Suite 4 has more free space (3x3m) and much higher ceilings due to the roof space.
Bathroom, Shower-room & WC [Ensuite or Shared]
• All suites have a full ensuite bathroom with under-floor heating.
• Suite 5 has a full wheelchair access disabled wet room, with shower. It has 2 handles by the toilet which is 48cm high, one by the shower which is 130cm high and adjustable with soap dish, and 2 basins at different heights 72cm and 88cm, with handles, with free space of 240x240 in the bathroom. There is an alarm cord by the toilet and basin.
• Bathrooms in suites 6 - 10 are all as follows: bath with shower over it and shower screen - bath height is 50cm. Toilet(45cm), basin set in vanity unit and shelf area(86cm) for toiletries. Free space in these bathrooms is 160x170cm.
• Suite 1 has the same fittings as suites 6-10 with 80x180cm of free space and a 72cm door opening
• Suite 2 has the same fittings as suites 6-10 with 90x100cm of free space and a 72cm door opening and is a compact bathroom
• Suite 3 has the same fittings as suites 6-10 with 120x200cm of free space and a 72cm door opening
• Suite 4 has the same fittings as suites 6-10 with 14x130cm of free space and a 72cm door opening
• All suites have a small self-catering kitchen area within the living space. The kitchen/living area has 2 chairs with arms or a sofa with arms (50cm seat height), with a nest of tables 56cm high. There is a sink (92cm high) with draining board. The fridge is 100cm high and the microwave is on a shelf 120cm high. The cupboards are fitted around the sink, fridge and microwave and contain 2 settings of plates, cups cutlery etc and basic equipment such as can openers and corkscrews, as well as washing up equipment and tea towels. A toaster is available on request from Reception.
• Each suite has a kettle, tea and coffee making facilities and homemade biscuits. Fresh milk is supplied on arrival and more is available from reception.
Caravans, Holiday Homes & Twin Units
• Not available
Touring Facilities (Holiday Parks)
• Not available
Boats - Narrow Boat, Cruiser & Hotel Boat
• Not available
Attractions (Displays, exhibits, rides etc.)
• Not available
Grounds and Gardens
• On days when there is no function on in the Priory, guests at the Courtyard have access to all of the 5 acre gardens, including a lake, river, formal terraces and many rare trees. If there is no access to the Priory, guests can still walk in the Park, and access the woods and footpaths of the whole Estate. There are good local walks to Blyth, Carlton, Langold and beyond.
• For special events such as the Hodsock Snowdrops (Feb/Mar) and Bluebells (May) there may be an additional charge to access the gardens.
• All fire exits are clearly marked, information is included in Guest folders in suites regarding fire alarm testing and meeting points. (Courtyard car park) • Staff training programme - disability awareness training takes place as part of on-going training.
• Service dogs are welcome, and most pets are welcome, although we ask guests to bring their own pet beds and covers as dogs are not allowed on the furniture. Please contact us about bookings for pets as not all rooms are suitable.
• The Courtyard is a no-smoking area.
• Free internet access via Wi-Fi hotspot and data ports is available throughout the Courtyard.
• All suites have fridges for storage of medications and staff will try to assist with dietary requirements if informed in advance.
Address: The Courtyard
Tel: 01909 591204
Fax: 01909 591578
Minicom: Not available
Grid reference: SK 611 854
Hours of operation: Usually closed for B&B over Christmas and New year, but self-catering always available. Hours flexible to business, but staff can be on site within minutes of a telephone call as some live on the Estate. Main telephone answered Monday to Friday, 9am - 4pm, with answer phone outside those hours.
Emergency number: Can be provided on request - Emergency contacts always displayed in Reception.
Company and Help at Home
Office 3, Goodbodys Business Centre,
17 Albert Road,
Tel: 01777 860886
Mears Care Ltd (Retford)
4 Glasby Square,
Tel: 01777 700539
Fax: 01777 869315
Local equipment hire companies:
Tel: 01777 708595
Local public transport numbers: Stagecoach - bus from Retford, Worksop or Doncaster to Blyth
Email Address: email@example.com
Tel: 0845 605 0 605
Fax: 01522 538229
Postal Address: Stagecoach in Bassetlaw,
Notts, S80 1EH
Disability Helpdesk: Tel: 01522 580515
Local accessible taxi numbers:
Carlton Accessible Transport
71 Knaton Road,
Carlton in Lindrick,
Worksop S81 9HH
Tel: 01909 733 311
• Website is in the process of being remodelled, with reference to needs of disabled guests and awareness of access issues.
• As we are a very new business, guests are being asked for feedback and their comments will inform future developments in this area.
Contact Telephone and Email Address
We welcome your feedback to help us continually improve. If you have any comments please phone 01909591204 or email firstname.lastname@example.org